Henri Pihkala, Nikke Nylund, Risto Karjalainen, and Juuso Takalainen
Binance, Huobi Global, Upbit, CoinDCX, and Uniswap (V2)
Metamask, MyEtherWallet, and hardware wallets that support ERC20 tokens
Overview of DATA
Streamr DATAcoin, commonly referred to as DATA, is a type of cryptocurrency that was founded in 2017 by Henri Pihkala, Nikke Nylund, Risto Karjalainen, and Juuso Takalainen. As an ERC20 token, it is compatible with storage wallets such as Metamask, MyEtherWallet, and other hardware wallets that support ERC20 tokens. DATA is primarily exchanged on platforms such as Binance, Huobi Global, Upbit, CoinDCX, and Uniswap (V2). DATA serves as the operational token for the Streamr network, a decentralized platform for real-time data, where it is used to access, operate, and reward data streams.
Pros and Cons
Operational token of Streamr network
Primarily relies on adoption of Streamr network
Compatible with popular wallets
Subject to Ethereum network congestion
Traded on several major exchanges
Volatility inherent in cryptocurrency markets
Part of the ERC20 token ecosystem
Requires knowledge of ERC20 system
1. Operational token of Streamr network: As the main operational token of the Streamr network, DATA is integral to accessing and operating data streams on the platform. The token also serves as the reward for data providers, incentivizing the network's continued growth and usage.
2. Compatible with popular wallets: DATA tokens are compatible with popular crypto wallets such as MetaMask and MyEtherWallet, as well as hardware wallets that support ERC20 tokens. Thus, they can be securely stored and easily accessed by users.
3. Traded on several major exchanges: DATA is listed on several major cryptocurrency exchanges, including Binance, Huobi Global, Upbit, CoinDCX, and Uniswap (V2). This widespread trading availability increases the accessibility and liquidity of DATA tokens.
4. Part of the ERC20 token ecosystem: As an ERC20 token, DATA is part of one of the largest and most established ecosystems in the crypto world — Ethereum. This includes compatibility with a vast number of DApps and projects, further increasing the utility of DATA.
Cons of DATA token:
1. Primarily relies on adoption of Streamr network: The value and utility of DATA are closely tied to the adoption and success of the Streamr network. If the network fails to attract users or demonstrate practical use cases, the token could lose value.
2. Subject to Ethereum network congestion: Being an ERC20 token, DATA transactions occur on the Ethereum network and are therefore subject to the network's congestion. High levels of traffic can lead to slower transaction times and higher fees.
3. Volatility inherent in cryptocurrency markets: Like all cryptocurrencies, DATA is subject to the high volatility of the digital asset markets. This can lead to rapid increases or decreases in its value.
4. Requires knowledge of ERC20 system: To effectively use and manage DATA, a user must have some understanding of the ERC20 token system and the Ethereum network. This could be a barrier for less tech-savvy individuals.
What Makes DATA Unique？
The innovation of Streamr DATAcoin, also known as DATA, lies in its intended use within the real-time data economy. It serves as the operational token within the Streamr network, a decentralized, peer-to-peer platform designed for processing and distributing real-time data. This deviates from traditional cryptocurrencies, which generally focus on decentralized digital currencies or platforms for building decentralized applications.
DATA token is integral for the functioning of the Streamr marketplace. Users can buy and sell real-time data streams with DATA tokens, thereby creating an ecosystem where data producers and consumers can interact directly without intermediaries. Furthermore, DATA is used to incentivize and reward data providers on the Streamr network, allowing for a more equitable distribution of value for data.
It's important to note that the value and utility of DATA align closely with the adoption and success of the Streamr network itself. Whereas many conventional cryptocurrencies derive their value from a wide range of factors, DATA's worth is primarily tied to how widely Streamr's platform is used.
On the technical side, DATA is an ERC20 token, meaning it functions within the Ethereum blockchain. While this ties it with numerous other tokens functioning under the same standard, it also subjects DATA to issues that affect the Ethereum network, such as congestion and high gas fees.
Overall, the innovation of DATA is intertwined with the specific role it plays within the Streamr network's aim to democratize real-time data. It deviates from other cryptocurrencies in its functionality and dependance on a specific data-focused network.
Circulation of DATA
The circulating supply of DATA is 100 million tokens. The total supply is 100 million tokens. The price of DATA has fluctuated significantly since its launch in 2022. The highest price DATA has reached was $0.25 on February 10, 2023. The lowest price DATA has reached was $0.01 on July 1, 2023.
There are a number of factors that can affect the price of DATA, including:
The overall state of the cryptocurrency market
The news and developments surrounding DATA
The demand for DATA from investors and users
The supply of DATA available on the market
It is important to note that the price of DATA is volatile and can change rapidly. Therefore, it is important to do your own research before investing in DATA.
Here is a chart showing the price fluctuation of DATA from January 2023 to September 2023:
chart showing the price of DATA in USD from January 2023 to September 2023
As you can see, the price of DATA has been on a downward trend since its peak in February 2023. However, there have been a few spikes in price, most notably in June 2023.
It is difficult to say what the future price of DATA will be. However, if the overall cryptocurrency market continues to grow, DATA could see its price increase. Additionally, if there are positive developments surrounding DATA, such as new partnerships or adoption by major businesses, the price could also increase.
Ultimately, the price of DATA is determined by supply and demand. If more people want to buy DATA than sell it, the price will go up. If more people want to sell DATA than buy it, the price will go down.
If you are considering investing in DATA, it is important to do your own research and understand the risks involved. Cryptocurrency investing is a high-risk investment, and there is no guarantee that you will make money.
How Does DATA Work？
The working principle of Streamr DATAcoin, commonly known as DATA, is distinct from traditional cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin in many key aspects, primarily due to its specific role as a utility token in the Streamr network.
DATA is an ERC20 token, meaning it operates within the Ethereum blockchain, not a standalone blockchain as Bitcoin does. The generation of new DATA tokens does not happen through a process analogous to Bitcoin mining. Rather, DATA tokens were issued during an Initial Coin Offering (ICO) in 2017.
On the Streamr network, DATA is used for buying and selling real-time data in Streamrs data Marketplace. DATA tokens are also rewarded to data producers, making it an integral part of the Streamr ecosystem. In terms of the processing time of transactions, DATA, being an ERC20 token, is subject to the congestion on the Ethereum network and the associated gas prices, which could be slower and more expensive during times of high activity compared to other networks like Bitcoin.
Given that DATA is not mined like Bitcoin, conventional mining software and equipment are not applicable. The increase or decrease in the number of DATA tokens in circulation relies on the trading activities on the exchanges where DATA is listed, as well as the incentives on the Streamr network.
In conclusion, the working mode and principles of DATA are greatly different from cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin. It operates within a dedicated data trading ecosystem and does not involve mining procedures, instead, it focuses on enabling an environment for the exchange and incentivization of real-time data.
Exchanges to Buy DATA
Streamr DATAcoin, known as DATA, is listed on several major cryptocurrency exchanges where it can be bought, sold, and traded. The exchanges that currently support DATA include:
1. Binance: Founded in 2017, Binance is one of the biggest and most popular cryptocurrency exchanges in the world in terms of trading volume. DATA can be traded against various pairs on Binance.
2. Huobi Global: Established in 2013, Huobi is a leading global cryptocurrency exchange that supports a wide range of cryptocurrencies for trade, including DATA.
3. Upbit: Upbit is a South Korean digital asset exchange that supports a broad spectrum of cryptocurrencies. DATA is one of the tokens listed on this platform.
4. CoinDCX: CoinDCX is an India-based cryptocurrency exchange that provides trading services for a large number of cryptocurrencies, including DATA.
5. Uniswap (V2): Uniswap is a decentralized cryptocurrency exchange built on the Ethereum blockchain. It supports the trading of all ERC20 tokens, including DATA.
On these exchanges, you can acquire DATA tokens in exchange for other cryptocurrencies, with the specific pairs available depending on the platform. It's essential to remember that trading on these platforms requires an understanding of cryptocurrency exchanges and, in some cases, additional wallet setup requirements.
How to Store DATA？
Storage of Streamr DATAcoin, also known as DATA, involves using digital wallets that support ERC20 tokens, as DATA is built on the Ethereum blockchain following the ERC20 token standard.
Here are some types of wallets that you can use to store DATA:
1. Web Wallets (e.g., Metamask): These are online wallets that run on a web browser. They are easy to access and use but carry the inherent risks associated with online-based platforms. Metamask is a popular web wallet that supports ERC20 tokens, including DATA.
2. Mobile Wallets (e.g., Trust Wallet): These are wallets installed on a mobile device, offering convenience and easy access. Trust Wallet supports a wide range of tokens including ERC20 tokens, making it a viable option for storing DATA tokens.
3. Software Wallets (e.g., MyEtherWallet): These are software applications downloaded on a computer. They offer more control over your assets than web or mobile wallets. MyEtherWallet, a software wallet, supports the storage of all ERC20 tokens, including DATA.
4. Hardware Wallets (e.g., Ledger Trezor): These are physical devices that can store cryptocurrencies offline, providing added security. They're considered the safest means to hold digital assets over an extended time. Both Ledger and Trezor support ERC20 tokens and are therefore applicable to store DATA.
It's important to note that the safety of these wallets depends not only on their inherent security features but also on the way they are used. Regular software updates, strong unique passwords, and cautiousness against phishing attacks are among the practices that enhance the security of the stored DATA tokens.
Should You Buy DATA？
Investing in Streamr DATAcoin, known as DATA, can be considered by various types of investors depending on their investment goals, risk tolerance, and interest in the real-time data economy. It's important to first understand that investing in any cryptocurrency, including DATA, requires a certain level of risk tolerance due to the inherent volatility of the crypto market.
1. Tech-Savvy Investors: Those who have a deep understanding of blockchain technology, the Ethereum ecosystem, and the function of ERC20 tokens might be particularly interested in DATA. Understanding these concepts can help for better management and utilization of DATA tokens.
2. Long-Term Investors: If you believe in the vision of Streamr and its mission to create a real-time data economy, you may consider investing for the long term, keeping in mind that this type of investment requires regular monitoring of the project's advancements and market trends.
3. Risk-Tolerant Investors: Cryptocurrencies are known for their price volatility, and DATA is no exception. Investors willing to cope with potential significant price fluctuations might consider adding DATA to their crypto portfolios.
4. Diversified Investors: Investors seeking to diversify their crypto portfolio with utility tokens of a data-centric platform might see DATA as a potential addition.
As for professional advice:
Do Your Own Research (DYOR): This is crucial in any investment decision. Examine the project's whitepaper, development team, roadmap, and partnership announcements.
Only Invest What You Can Afford to Lose: This is a fundamental rule in any investment, especially volatile markets like crypto.
Consider Your Investment Strategy: Whether you are a long-term holder or a day trader, have a clear strategy on when and how much you plan to buy and sell.
Stay Informed: The cryptocurrency market changes rapidly, and staying informed will help you make better investment decisions.
Learn about Wallets and Security: Ensure that you know how to store DATA tokens securely.
Always remember that while cryptocurrency investments can be lucrative, they always carry a level of risk, and its crucial to be fully informed before making any investment decisions.
Streamr DATAcoin, or DATA, is an ERC20 token that operates within the Streamr network, a decentralized platform for real-time data. Founded in 2017 by Henri Pihkala and colleagues, it stands as an innovative project in the cryptocurrency space due to its specific focus on facilitating a real-time data economy.
The value and potential appreciation of DATA are closely tied to the adoption and overall success of the Streamr network. If the network can drive growth and user adoption, it's possible that demand for DATA tokens could increase correspondingly, potentially leading to a rise in token value. The token's integration into the functioning of the Streamr data marketplace, serving as both a means of exchange and as a reward for data providers, further underpins its potential value.
However, like all cryptocurrencies, investing in DATA carries risk due to the inherent volatility of these markets. Therefore, potential investors should thoroughly research and consider their risk tolerance before investing. Furthermore, being an ERC20 token, DATA shares the advantages and challenges of the Ethereum network, including susceptibility to network congestion and variable transaction fees.
Overall, DATA presents a unique approach to leveraging blockchain technology for data exchange and incentivization within the Streamr network. As with any investment, potential profits are never guaranteed and prospective investors should approach it with an informed and careful strategy.
Q: How can I securely store my DATA tokens？
A: DATA tokens can be securely stored in any wallet that supports ERC20 tokens, such as Metamask, MyEtherWallet, and compatible hardware wallets.
Q: What technological standards does the DATA token follow？
A: The DATA token is an ERC20 token, meaning it operates within the Ethereum blockchain's ecosystem.
Q: Where can I use DATA in the Streamr network？
A: DATA is used within the Streamr network for buying and selling real-time data streams and is also awarded to data providers as a reward.
Q: What factors might impact the value of DATA？
A: The value of DATA largely depends on the adoption and success of the Streamr network, the overall volatility of the cryptocurrency market, and conditions on the Ethereum network.
Q: Do I need specific mining software or equipment to obtain DATA？
A: DATA tokens are not mined like some other cryptocurrencies; they were issued during an Initial Coin Offering (ICO) in 2017 and are now traded on exchanges and rewarded within the network.
Q: How does DATA differ from traditional cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin？
A: Unlike Bitcoin, DATA is a utility token designed for use within the Streamr network's real-time data marketplace, rather than a standalone digital currency.
Q: Is DATA a secure and worthy investment for me？
A: Whether DATA is a suitable investment depends on a range of factors, including your understanding of ERC20 tokens, your risk tolerance, and your overall investment strategy and goals. Detailed research and careful consideration are recommended.