US court backs Bybits bid to trace funds from $1.5B North Korea hack

摘要:US court records unsealed Thursday show a federal judge granted crypto exchange Bybit expedited discovery to trace assets stolen in the $1.5 billion North Korea-linked hack. Bybit filed a sealed lawsuit on June 18 against North Korea, the Lazarus Group, and 20 unnamed defendants. The court approved the request on June 19 and issued a temporary restraining order, renewed July 16, while partially granting a preliminary injunction on July 30. Bybit alleged traceable funds reached US-based exchanges and sought account-holder identities, balances, and transaction histories. As of filing, 90.2% of stolen assets were untraceable; about $75.5 million had been frozen or recovered. The February 21 hack, attributed by the FBI to North Korea, involved compromised Safe Wallet credentials. Bybit seeks $1.5 billion in compensatory damages plus punitive/treble damages under RICO.

United States court records unsealed on Thursday show that a federal judge backed crypto exchange Bybits effort to trace assets stolen in the $1.5 billion North Korea-linked hack by granting the company expedited discovery.

According to the records, Bybit filed the lawsuit under seal on June 18 against North Korea, its Reconnaissance General Bureau, the Lazarus Group and 20 unidentified defendants. The court granted Bybits request for expedited discovery on June 19.

The discovery authority gives Bybit a practical route to identify alleged intermediaries and pursue a small portion of stolen assets that remains traceable, rather than relying solely on a judgment against North Korea.

In its complaint, Bybit alleged that some traceable assets reached exchanges operating or maintaining infrastructure in the US. The company sought account-holder identities, balances and transaction histories, saying certain platforms had indicated they would cooperate after receiving a court order.

Bybit says 90% of stolen funds became untraceable

Bybit also obtained a temporary restraining order on June 19 preventing the unidentified defendants from transferring certain traceable assets. The court renewed the order on July 16 and partially granted Bybits request for a preliminary injunction on July 30. Some exhibits and other records remain sealed.

As of the June 18 filing, Bybit said 90.2% of the stolen assets had become untraceable after passing through mixers, cross-chain bridges and over-the-counter dealers. The remaining 9.8% had been traced to identifiable wallets, including 5.3% of the total, about $75.5 million, that had been frozen or recovered.

The figures mark a sharp drop from more than a year ago, when Bybit CEO Ben Zhou said at the time that 68.57% of the funds remained traceable.

Related: Bybit made ‘slow but steady comeback’ in 2025 after massive hack: CoinGecko

The hack occurred on Feb. 21, 2025, after attackers compromised Safe Wallets infrastructure. Forensic investigators said compromised credentials belonging to a Safe developer allowed the attackers to inject malicious code into its cloud infrastructure. The FBI attributed the theft to North Korea on Feb. 26, 2025.

The lawsuit shows that Bybit is seeking the return of the stolen assets, approximately $1.5 billion in compensatory damages, punitive damages and treble damages under the US Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.

免责声明

本文观点仅代表作者个人观点,不构成本平台的投资建议,本平台不对文章信息准确性、完整性和及时性作出任何保证,亦不对因使用或信赖文章信息引发的任何损失承担责任
上一篇

BIT 投研:黄金突破下行趋势,历史 10 次类似信号均上涨意味着什么?

下一篇

下周必关注| CPI 报告来袭;宇树科技开放申购( 8.10-8.16 )