Global blockchain supervision and query platform








Tiếng Việt

Bahasa Indonesia





Your Location:Home>News>Main body

Texas Becomes A Hub For Bitcoin Mining Operations

WikiBit 2023-03-24 14:46

Abstract:Texas has experienced a 75% increase in demand for electricity by Bitcoin miners in 2021, with the energy consumption accounting for about 3.7% of the state's lowest forecast peak load. Despite recent bankruptcies and worries over electric power consumption, the cryptocurrency industry in Texas is still growing due to abundant wind and solar power and tax incentives offered by some counties. Some experts caution that if all Bitcoin mines in Texas connect to the grid within their proposed timelines, it could present issues to the grid.

According to the Texas Blockchain Council, the bitcoin sector in Texas is booming despite worries about electricity usage and recent failures. Bitcoin producers in the state increased their demand for electricity by 75% last year, using about 2,100 megawatts, or almost treble the quantity used the year before. However, according to statistics from the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), this demand only represents 3.7% of the state's lowest projected peak capacity this year.

Texas' plentiful wind and solar energy, which is predicted to meet 39% of ERCOT's energy requirements by 2023, is what draws bitcoin producers to the state. Additionally, the state's municipalities provide financial benefits. In McCamey, Texas, for instance, U.S. Bitcoin Corp. runs a processing business inside a 280-megawatt wind field. The facility used 173,000-kilowatt hours of energy last month, with the wind farm providing roughly 40% and the infrastructure providing the remaining 60%.

To put this into perspective, the Energy Information Administration estimates that the typical American household consumes about 10 MWh per year.

Texas is concerned about the effects of increased crypto demand on the infrastructure after a recent catastrophic winter storm outage there caused the deaths of about 250 people. According to Joshua Rhodes, a study chemist at the University of Texas at Austin, the system might experience problems if all Bitcoin miners that are presently attempting to link to it were to do so by the deadlines they have set. He said, “That load would be growing way faster than it ever has.”

Hurdles for the Cryptocurrency Industry

Texas's suggested federal rules, such as a 30% levy on energy used for digital mining, are just one of the challenges the bitcoin business is currently confronting. The US Treasury Secretary and the commodities supervisor have also called for the creation of a regulatory structure.

Additionally, some bitcoin processing that uses fossil fuel-generated electricity has been outlawed in New York, and it's anticipated that other states will do the same.

Bratcher claims that the Bitcoin mining business has faced some difficulties, including two well-known failures and some miners cutting back growth. However, Texas's business is still expanding.


The cryptocurrency business is still thriving in Texas despite obstacles like federal rules and state restrictions on processing cryptocurrencies. Due to the state's plentiful solar and wind energy as well as the financial benefits provided by some municipalities, bitcoin producers are drawn to it. Although there are worries about how a rise in cryptocurrency demand will affect the infrastructure, Texas's current Bitcoin mining demand represents a very tiny portion of the state's lowest projected peak load.

As a reminder, WikiBit is ready to help you search the qualifications and reputation of projects in a bid to protect you from hidden dangers in this risky industry!



Token conversion
Exchange rate conversion
Calculation for foreign exchange purchasing

Current Rate0